April 12, 2012

Ayurveda: Science That I Can Dig


            I am currently studying to be a holistic health practioner and am bound to study many interesting subjects throughout the next few years.  My most recent class, Ayurveda, spoke volumes to me.  Our teacher, Dr.Nitin Shah, clarified on our first day that we would not become experts in this introductory course.  After studying Ayurveda full time for 10 years he still considers himself a beginner.  I know I have just dipped my toe into the sea of Ayurvedic knowledge, and I look forward to the continued journey.            
  Here are some of the basics: Ayurveda is the 5000 year old “science of life” that originated in India.  It is a holistic philosophy that believes mind, body & spirit are all factors in our health, as is living in harmony with nature. This science places an emphasis on understanding and accepting your own nature, also known as your dosha. You are born with a particular dosha, and when your dosha is in balance you are healthy.  Many factors contribute to imbalance throughout your lifetime, such as diet, climate, emotions, experiences, etc. Understanding your individual constitution will help to guide you in maintaining the balance of your dosha, and therefore your health. “One size does not fit all” was one of Nitin’s favorite quotes.  Ayurveda rejects nothing, and promotes diversity. It includes food, herbs, yoga, massage, meditation, and lifestyle in its approach to both preventative healthcare and healing. You can get an idea of your constitution/dosha by trying this quiz. Answer the questions based on how you have been primarily throughout your lifetime, not just your recent attributes.
            Once I figured out my dosha, and those of my family and close friends, I was able to digest the science of Ayurveda better, and also gain a deeper understanding of my relationship with myself, others, and the world.  It is fairly impossible to sum up Ayurveda into a short blog post, but I’m hoping this will pique your interest, and perhaps encourage you to dip your own toe into this sea of knowledge. If I haven't caught your interest yet maybe these last Ayurvedic gems will speak to you: "Let your kitchen cabinet be your medicine cabinet" and "No breath = no life.  Know breath = Know life."